Pressure treated lumber can give you many years of use and enjoyment of your deck. Often made from southern pine, a wood variety known for its load-bearing strength and durability, pressure treated materials can be the best wood for decking in high-traffic spaces. It’s also one of the most popular, least expensive woods per square foot, which is one reason it’s used to make pressure treated lumber.
Pressure treated decking pros:
1. Pale in color, easy to stain
2. Pattern accentuates landscape designs
3. Resists rot and termites when treated for outdoor use
4. Common throughout Northern, Southern, Midwestern and Western U.S.
Pressure treated decking cons:
1. Can develop a greenish tint when exposed to the elements without regular sealant application
2. Can dent, split and splinter over time